The CBIZ Small Business Employment Index (SBEI), a barometer for hiring trends for more than 3,500 companies with 300 or fewer employees, increased by 0.39 percent during December, following an increase of 0.82 percent in November.
ADP’s December jobs survey revealed that the private sector added 215,000 jobs, convincingly exceeding analysts’ estimates of 140,000 jobs and surpassing November’s revised tally of 148,000 added jobs.
“As expected, and consistent with readings from the entire fourth quarter, our Index shows a minimal .39% gain. A reading this low, while not negative, does show that small businesses surveyed are still holding back on hiring, most likely awaiting the results from Washington on tax rate changes as well as spending cuts,” says Philip Noftsinger, business unit president for CBIZ Payroll Services.
To view and/or use a graphic illustration that tracks and illustrates the employment index, visit our blog here.¹Additional take-away points from the November data set include:
- At-a-glance: Of the companies surveyed, 24 percent increased staffing while 23 percent of the companies decreased employee headcounts. Fifty-three percent of the companies surveyed maintained their number of employees.
- Small business sector: The budget and tax battles in Washington, D.C. continue to give pause to entrepreneurs and shrink their appetite for risk, thereby continuing to mute the hiring by small businesses.
- What to watch: Even as the House of Representatives reached a bi-partisan agreement on tax rates, the battle will continue on spending cuts as we approach another vote on the debt ceiling.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV