The Finish Line, Inc. (NASDAQ: FINL) today reported results for the 13-week and 39-week periods ended December 1, 2012.
For the thirteen weeks ended December 1, 2012:
- Consolidated net sales increased 5.2% to $296.6 million.
- Finish Line comparable store sales increased 3.6%.
- Digital sales, which are included in the comparable store sales results, were up 25.0%.
- Earnings per diluted share were breakeven.
“The third quarter was clearly more challenging than we anticipated,” said Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Glenn Lyon. “Sales came in below plan due primarily to a shift within athletic footwear trends and a less than favorable consumer response to the new ecommerce site we launched in mid November. Our top-line performance forced us to get more promotional to improve the composition of our inventory ahead of the important Holiday season. At the same time, we did not adjust our cost structure quickly enough in response to slowing sales trends.”
“Following our recent challenges,” Lyon continued, “we have taken immediate actions to improve near-term results. This includes reverting back to our previous ecommerce site, implementing cost controls that allow us to better manage expenses, and elevating the assortment of key basketball products in our stores and online. Looking ahead, we remain committed to developing a premier omni-channel business. We’ll also continue to evaluate the speed of our transformation to ensure that we are best positioned to achieve both our near- and long-term goals.”Balance Sheet As of December 1, 2012, consolidated merchandise inventories increased 7.6% to $301.7 million compared to $280.4 million as of November 26, 2011. For Finish Line, merchandise inventories increased by 6.3%. As of December 1, 2012, the company had no interest-bearing debt and $168.2 million in cash and cash equivalents, compared to $216.6 million a year ago.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV