By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Fortinet (FTNT) fell hard last quarter, and the bears came back Thursday.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected unusual activity in the January 20 puts shortly after the open, with buyers paying 25 cents to 30 cents. More than 3,600 contracts traded by the end of the session, far above the strike's previous open interest of just 244 and therefore new positions.
Puts lock in the price where investors have the right to sell stock, so the options can generate some nice leverage in the event of a decline. That happened nicely Thursday because those puts more than tripled in value to $1.20 as the network-security stock pushed lower.Fortinet's shares fell 8.78% Thursday to close at $19.33. They gapped lower on Oct. 16 after the company lowered guidance, then rolled over after attempting to rebound in November and December. Total option volume was 32 times greater than average in the name. There was also heavy call volume, but most of those calls were sold, which reflects a belief that upside will be limited. Russell has no positions in FTNT.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV