FARMINGTON, Conn., Jan. 3, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Horizon Technology Finance Corporation (Nasdaq:HRZN) (the "Company" or "Horizon"), a leading specialty finance company that provides secured loans to venture capital and private equity backed development-stage companies in the technology, life science, healthcare information and services and clean-tech industries, today provided a portfolio update for the fourth quarter of 2012.
Gerald A. Michaud, President of Horizon, commented, "We are pleased to end 2012 on a strong note as Horizon achieved record loan volumes during the fourth quarter, our sixth consecutive quarter of increased investment activity. As we continue to execute our investment strategy by deploying capital in a disciplined manner and expanding our high-yielding assets, we remain cautious in our outlook due to an uncertain macro environment. We experienced a typical investment pattern during the quarter with funding occurring later in the quarter and prepayments occurring throughout the quarter. During the quarter, we added a diverse mix of seven new companies to our venture loan portfolio. With our high-quality loan portfolio, Horizon expects to continue to generate a stable stream of interest income while providing the potential to realize significant warrant gains. We remain focused on taking advantage of select investment opportunities that meet our underwriting and return criteria and strengthening Horizon's leading industry brand."
New Loans FundedGross new loan investments during the fourth quarter of 2012 totaled $66.5 million. Net new loan investments totaled approximately $52.0 million. During the fourth quarter of 2012, Horizon provided funding to the following new and existing portfolio companies:
- $4.0 million to Accumetrics, Inc., a new portfolio company. Accumetrics is a developer of a platform to help physicians determine a patient's response to multiple antiplatelet agents.
- $1.1 million to Mitralign, Inc., an existing portfolio company. Mitralign is a developer of an innovative catheter based technology for percutaneous treatment of mitral regurgitation.
- $7.0 million to Newport Media, Inc., a new portfolio company. Newport Media is a supplier of RF system-on-a-chip solutions for wireless connectivity and broadcast communications markets.
- $2.5 million to Recondo Technology, Inc., an existing portfolio company. Recondo is a software company that develops cloud computing solutions throughout the healthcare revenue cycle.
- $7.5 million to Sys-tech Solutions, Inc., a new portfolio company. Sys-tech is a leader in pharmaceutical serialization solutions.
- $3.0 million to VidSys, Inc., a new portfolio company. VidSys is a provider of a Physical Security Information Management (PSIM) software platform used to run operations centers for public sector agencies and leading enterprise organizations globally.
- $8.4 million to an existing portfolio company which provides online management solutions to contractors and suppliers in the U.S.
- $5.0 million to a new portfolio company that has developed a platform that analyzes and correlates online content and matches it to relevant advertisements, content and information.
- $10.0 million to a new portfolio company which develops novel transcatheter heart valve technologies.
- $8.0 million to a new portfolio company which develops cloud solutions for secure enterprise mobile device and application management.
- $10.0 million to an existing portfolio company which develops and markets web-based insurance distribution solutions to the property and casualty insurance industry.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV