For the first fiscal quarter ended November 30, 2012, the company's net income totaled $6.1 million or $0.11 per diluted share compared with net income of $5.5 million or $0.09 per diluted share in the same period prior year. Company drive-in sales in the first quarter of fiscal 2013 declined by $3.3 million compared to the first quarter of fiscal 2012 as a result of the refranchising of 34 company drive-ins during the second fiscal quarter of 2012, partially offset by an increase in same-store sales.
For the first fiscal quarter ended November 30, 2012, system-wide same-store sales increased 3.0%, which was comprised of a 4.2% increase at company drive-ins and a 2.9% increase at franchise drive-ins.Development Across the Sonic system, one new franchise drive-in was opened in the first quarter of fiscal 2013 versus two new franchise drive-in openings during the first quarter of fiscal 2012. New franchise drive-in openings in fiscal 2013 are expected to be slightly higher than new franchise drive-in openings in fiscal 2012. Fiscal Year 2013 Outlook The company expects its initiatives to drive sales improvements going forward. However, uncertainty with regard to the macroeconomic environment and its impact on consumer confidence may result in sales volatility. The outlook for fiscal 2013 anticipates the following elements:
- Positive same-store sales in the low single digit range;
- Restaurant-level margins to improve between 50 to 100 basis points;
- Slightly more new franchise drive-in openings than in fiscal 2012;
- Selling, general and administrative expenses of $68 to $69 million;
- Subsequent to the end of the quarter, the company completed the sale of real estate that was previously leased to a franchisee. As a result, franchise lease revenue is now expected to be $3 to $3.5 million; and depreciation and amortization is expected to be $40 to $41 million. The company realized net cash proceeds of approximately $30 million and a 24 month note of approximately $9 million on the sale;
- Net interest expense of approximately $29 million;
- Subsequent to the end of the quarter, legislation was passed that reinstated and extended certain employment tax credits. The company estimates it will realize a tax benefit of $500 thousand to $1 million related to the retroactive portion of the employment tax credit program in the second fiscal quarter and further expects its tax rate to be reduced to the 37% to 38% range in its third and fourth fiscal quarters from the ongoing impact of the reinstated tax credit program;
- Capital expenditures of $30 to $35 million which includes a partial point-of-sale system implementation in company drive-ins and supply chain management implementation for the system; and
- Free cash flow of $45 to $50 million for fiscal 2013.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts