For the first fiscal quarter ended November 30, 2012, the company's net income totaled $6.1 million or $0.11 per diluted share compared with net income of $5.5 million or $0.09 per diluted share in the same period prior year. Company drive-in sales in the first quarter of fiscal 2013 declined by $3.3 million compared to the first quarter of fiscal 2012 as a result of the refranchising of 34 company drive-ins during the second fiscal quarter of 2012, partially offset by an increase in same-store sales.
For the first fiscal quarter ended November 30, 2012, system-wide same-store sales increased 3.0%, which was comprised of a 4.2% increase at company drive-ins and a 2.9% increase at franchise drive-ins.Development Across the Sonic system, one new franchise drive-in was opened in the first quarter of fiscal 2013 versus two new franchise drive-in openings during the first quarter of fiscal 2012. New franchise drive-in openings in fiscal 2013 are expected to be slightly higher than new franchise drive-in openings in fiscal 2012. Fiscal Year 2013 Outlook The company expects its initiatives to drive sales improvements going forward. However, uncertainty with regard to the macroeconomic environment and its impact on consumer confidence may result in sales volatility. The outlook for fiscal 2013 anticipates the following elements:
- Positive same-store sales in the low single digit range;
- Restaurant-level margins to improve between 50 to 100 basis points;
- Slightly more new franchise drive-in openings than in fiscal 2012;
- Selling, general and administrative expenses of $68 to $69 million;
- Subsequent to the end of the quarter, the company completed the sale of real estate that was previously leased to a franchisee. As a result, franchise lease revenue is now expected to be $3 to $3.5 million; and depreciation and amortization is expected to be $40 to $41 million. The company realized net cash proceeds of approximately $30 million and a 24 month note of approximately $9 million on the sale;
- Net interest expense of approximately $29 million;
- Subsequent to the end of the quarter, legislation was passed that reinstated and extended certain employment tax credits. The company estimates it will realize a tax benefit of $500 thousand to $1 million related to the retroactive portion of the employment tax credit program in the second fiscal quarter and further expects its tax rate to be reduced to the 37% to 38% range in its third and fourth fiscal quarters from the ongoing impact of the reinstated tax credit program;
- Capital expenditures of $30 to $35 million which includes a partial point-of-sale system implementation in company drive-ins and supply chain management implementation for the system; and
- Free cash flow of $45 to $50 million for fiscal 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV