News Summary: US Jobless Aid Applications Rise
By The Associated Press
APPLICATIONS RISE: Weekly applications for U.S. unemployment benefits rose 10,000 to a seasonally adjusted 372,000, the Labor Department said. The holidays may have distorted the data. Many state unemployment offices were closed this week for New Year's and did not submit complete data. The department used estimates for 9 states.
BROADER TREND FAVORABLE: The four-week average, a less volatile measure, was little changed at 360,000, near the lowest level in more than four years.
GOOD SIGN: The data suggest that employers haven't boosted layoffs and may still be hiring despite battles between the White House and Congress over the fiscal cliff. That's a good sign since more budget fights are likely this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV