CHICAGO, Jan. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Morningstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: MORN), a leading provider of independent investment research, today named Merrill A. (Pete) Miller Jr., CEO of Houston-based National Oilwell Varco, as its 2012 CEO of the Year. Morningstar annually recognizes a chief executive who exhibits exemplary corporate stewardship, demonstrates independent thinking, creates lasting value for shareholders, and has put his or her stamp on an industry.
The two other nominees for Morningstar's 2012 CEO of the Year award were George Paz of Express Scripts and J. Michael Pearson of Valeant Pharmaceuticals International.
"This year's nominees have been instrumental in transforming their companies from small players or those with few competitive advantages to leaders in their industries," said Paul Larson, chief equities strategist and editor of Morningstar StockInvestor. "We selected Miller, who has served as CEO of National Oilwell Varco since 2001, as our winner this year for the rare combination of excellence he's demonstrated across all three facets of a chief executive's job—strategic insights, capital allocation, and execution.
"Miller has successfully mitigated the inherent risks of doing business in the oil and gas equipment and services industry. For instance, he executed an acquisition-heavy strategy, which can carry the threat of operational miscues, without a hitch. Despite the pace of acquisitions, Miller has prioritized shareholder-friendly actions by paying a special dividend in 2009, cutting his own salary in light of the difficult economic environment in 2008, and openly sharing his thoughts with analysts about where he thinks the market is going and how National Oilwell Varco is positioned to compete."In the last 18 months, continuing a long-running streak of deals, National Oilwell Varco under Miller has completed or has pending nearly $6 billion in acquisitions. In another move that reflects substantial value creation for shareholders, the company also raised $3 billion in senior notes in the midst of an extremely favorable corporate credit environment. With Miller at the helm, National Oilwell Varco has reshaped the oilfield equipment industry and is positioned to maintain its influence:
- After an impressive string of deals mostly led by Miller over the last 15 years, National Oilwell Varco has become a critical player in the industry, with such leading technology and services that many drillers are electing to standardize around its equipment.
- Miller successfully predicted several major industry shifts—the aging of global rig fleets, the onset of shorter lifecycles for equipment necessary to exploit North American oil and gas reservoirs, and the need for floating production storage and offshore (FPSO) units used for offshore markets—and invested billions of dollars in capital to situate National Oilwell Varco favorably ahead of them.
- The company's footing uniquely positions it to become one of the leading suppliers for FPSO and related subsea efforts, a development likely to unfold over the next decade, replicating its earlier success with offshore drilling in terms of market penetration and approach to equipment standardization.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV