This is the first year Morningstar has awarded an Alternatives Fund Manager of the Year award. Morningstar defines alternative investments as those that do not fit neatly in its traditional equity or fixed-income style boxes—either because they invest in different asset classes, take long and short positions, or because they are illiquid.
Allocation Fund Manager of the Year: David Giroux, T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation (PRWCX) David Giroux joined the fund in 2006, and since then has beaten 97 percent of moderate-allocation category peers, delivering top-decile returns on a risk-adjusted basis. Giroux follows a straightforward asset allocation approach, generally investing 55-65 percent of assets in equities and the rest in a mix of fixed income and cash. For most of his tenure, Giroux has favored convertible bonds, and more recently, leveraged loans, in the fixed-income segment of the fund.
"Giroux's stellar performance in 2012 came from multiple areas, including his stock selection and a strong showing from the fund's bank loan stake. Top holdings across multiple sectors, such as Thermo Fisher Scientific, Walt Disney, and Invesco, fueled the fund's gains in 2012, but Giroux has successfully taken full advantage of T. Rowe Price's deep research operation over the long term, too," said Laura Lutton, director of fund-of-funds research for Morningstar. "The $13.7 billion fund returned nearly 14.7 percent for the year, and remains an excellent core holding."
The fund has earned a Gold Analyst Rating and has a 5-star rating for risk-adjusted performance. Giroux has more than $1 million invested in the fund, and the fund's 0.71 percent expense ratio is below average for the category.This is the first year Morningstar has awarded an Allocation Fund Manager of the Year award. Fund managers considered for this award must run funds that combine at least two asset classes in a single portfolio.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV