2013 Green Car Technology Award Finalists Announced
WASHINGTON, Jan. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Ten nominees have been named for Green Car Journal's inaugural Green Car Technology Award ™ presented at The Washington Auto Show®. The winner will be announced on January 31 at the 2013 Washington Auto Show during the show's second Policy Day.
The Green Car Technology Award ™ honors an important enabling technology in use today that's helping create a new generation of fuel efficient, alternative fuel, or low emission vehicles.
"The 'green' technologies that make possible achieving ever-higher efficiencies and lower environmental impact are often the unsung heroes of the automotive world," said Ron Cogan, editor and publisher of the Green Car Journal and CarsOfChange.com. "Whether employed in alternative fuel or conventionally powered vehicles, these technologies work in their own ways toward bringing us more environmentally positive transportation without sacrificing the functionality and driving enjoyment we expect from our vehicles."
Technologies considered for the award range from advanced powerplants and drivetrain components to on-board systems that work toward increasing efficiencies, reducing petroleum use, or improving environmental impact. Qualifying technologies must be in use by vehicle models today.Supporting its growing 'green' theme, a wide array of advanced technology and clean fuel vehicles will be displayed on the show floor at the Washington Auto Show. "The Washington Auto Show® is the perfect forum for The Green Car Technology Award ™," says Washington Auto Show Chairman Robert Fogarty. "As the automotive industry's Policy Show, we are committed to showcasing advancements in eco-friendly systems, alternative fuel engines and other clean air technologies to both our customer community and the policy makers who represent our industry on Capitol Hill. We are honored to have the opportunity to host the nominees and winners for this important award's inaugural year." The 2013 Green Car Technology Award ™ nominees include:
- Fiat MultiAir: This simple, low power requirement, and low-cost technology takes a unique approach to lowering engine emissions and fuel use while increasing horsepower.
- Fisker Automotive EVer: A powerful extended range electric powertrain, EVer is well-suited to the needs of high-end sport sedan buyers who wish lower environmental impact.
- Ford Auto Stop-Start: Hybrids shut off when stopped and automatically restart to save fuel and emissions. Ford's low-cost technology brings this function to average vehicles.
- Ford EcoBoost: Direct injection and turbocharging enable EcoBoost technology to bring up to 20 percent better fuel economy to conventional gasoline engines.
- Ford Energi: This technology evolves a conventional Ford hybrid into a plug-in hybrid, enabling electric and gas engines to work together or separately for maximum efficiency.
- Honda Eco Assist: This system includes a driver-activated ECON feature that configures the engine and other energy-consuming systems to operate more efficiently to save fuel.
- Mazda SkyACTIV: Focusing on more than just powerplants, Mazda's SkyACTIV suite of technologies improves every part of a car to improve mpg while ensuring driving fun.
- Nissan Easy-Fill Tire Alert: Low tire pressure robs mpg. This technology alerts a driver which tire is low and by how much. While a driver fills the tire, the horn chirps at proper inflation.
- Tesla Powertrain: Fast and powerful, the all-electric propulsion system in Tesla's Model S is a milestone for electric vehicles offering up to 265 miles of driving range.
- Toyota RAV4 EV Powertrain: Developed with Tesla, the electric powerplant in Toyota's new RAV4 EV provides this SUV a seamless and satisfying driving experience.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV