NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Square's deal with Starbucks (SBUX) may have huge ramifications for the mobile payments industry, and by selling its mobile payment readers in 7,000 Starbucks U.S. stores, it'll give Square another heads up on the competition.
According to media reports, Starbucks will sell its readers in the stores, further adding to the deal the two companies agreed in August, whereby Square's service would be used in 7,000 Starbucks U.S. locations.
Square's readers are already sold in other retail locations, including Apple (AAPL), Target (TGT), Best Buy (BBY), and Wal-Mart (WMT). By adding Starbucks to its retail locations, this will only continue to put its services, software and readers in the forefront of consumers' minds.San Francisco-based Square has been able to take the lead in mobile payments over other companies, thanks in large part to its retail presence. Square is thought to be doing over $8 billion in payment transactions annually, though that number could be higher given the its deal with Starbucks. The small white reader, which users connect to their smartphones or tablets sell for $9.99, but new users are offered a full rebate once they begin using the reader. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV