YERINGTON, Nev., Jan. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Fort Churchill Generating Station in Nevada, which is owned and operated by NV Energy (NYSE:NVE), has reached a safety milestone of operating 25 years without a lost-time accident.
According to the Edison Electric Institute, the 226-megawatt natural gas-fueled plant has the longest safety record for any fossil-fueled generating station in the nation. The plant, which is located near Yerington, Nev., employs about 30 people and can produce enough electricity to serve approximately 135,000 Nevada households.
The Edison Electric Institute presented the utility a "Safety Achievement Award" for operating nearly 1.8 million work-hours with no days away from work. The record dates back to the plant's last lost-time accident, which occurred March 30, 1987.To put that time in perspective, the last time a lost-time accident was recorded at the power plant, Ronald Reagan was president, a gallon of gasoline sold for under $1, and the top television show was the Bill Cosby Show. Michael Yackira, NV Energy President and Chief Executive Officer, commented on the plant's milestone, "This achievement reflects our commitment to safety and we're very proud of what our employees have accomplished. What is especially remarkable about this safety record is that our Fort Churchill Station employees work around the clock engaging in many activities that require strong safety vigilance, and this milestone means that they've done so successfully every day for 25 years." Power plants are inherently dangerous places to work, as plant personnel deal with extremely high temperatures, extremely high pressures, and high-voltage electricity. Over the years, the plant has embraced more than 1,500 safety suggestions, which surfaced through safety audits, safety committee recommendations, and individual contributions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV