Jan. 3, 2013
/PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The State Historic Preservation Office, Michigan State Housing Development Authority, announced the addition of seven properties and historic districts to the National Register of Historic Places.
Three individual properties and four historic districts from
Counties were added to the nation's list of historic structures and archaeological sites worthy of preservation. The historic districts listed included an expansion of the Center Avenue Neighborhood Historic District in
"Listing in the National Register of Historic Places achieves a level of recognition that is important to property owners and communities," said State Historic Preservation Officer
. "The designation of these properties and districts provides public recognition of their historic and architectural distinction and also opportunities for property owners to use federal historic preservation tax credits for rehabilitating the income-producing buildings. The preservation of historic buildings preserves community identity. By rehabilitating and reusing these structures we contribute to economic growth without destroying what makes each community unique."
The most recent listings include:
Center Avenue Neighborhood Historic District (Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation),
. This new designation greatly expands the existing Center Avenue district to include a much larger residential area roughly bounded by N. Madison, Green, and Center Avenues., 4th, 5th, 6th, & 10th Streets, Carroll Road and Nurmi Drive. This nearly 1000-building district contains a highly diverse and architecturally distinguished collection of homes and other buildings dating from the 1860s to the 1960s.
Upper Twin Falls BridgeOver the Menominee River,
Dickinson County, Michigan
, and the
Town of Florence, Wisconsin
Williamston Downtown Historic DistrictFirst blocks of East and West Grand River Avenue and South Putnam Street,
Hanover High School Complex105 Fairview St.,
Benjamin and Maria (Ogden)
, Farm927 N. Drake Rd. (Oshtemo Charter Township),
Grand Rapids Storage and Van Company Building1415 Lake Dr. SE.,
Boyne City Central Historic DistrictSouth from Boyne River to Main St., east from Front Street along Ray and Water Streets, Boyne Ave. to Pearl St.,
In addition to the seven new listings, the Grand Circus Park Historic District designation was updated to take note of buildings built or renovated after 1930 and down to fifty years ago, 1962. This will make available to property owners in the district the federal rehabilitation tax credits now available to the owners of earlier buildings dating from prior to 1930, thus encouraging the preservation of structures representing significant Modern design.