NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Out of favor large-caps and discounted brokers will be outperformers in 2013, according to Sterne Agee analyst Todd Hagerman.
In a report Thursday, the analyst highlighted "earnings diversity, expense leverage, and ongoing credit leverage" as important earnings drivers for the sector in 2013, though he expects ongoing budget discussions and associated uncertainty to keep economic growth at a "pedestrian pace" through the first half of 2013.
Investors should avoid small/mid-cap regional banks that are overly dependent on spread income and have little expense and credit leverage. Instead they should use volatility in the stock market to pick up large-cap stocks trading at deep discounts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV