U.S. Nonfarm Payrolls Rise 155,000 in December; Jobless Rate 7.8%
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The U.S. work force added 155,000 jobs in December, the Labor Department said Friday; the unemployment rate was 7.8%.
The consensus was for nonfarm payrolls to rise by 150,000 in the month, following a 146,000 increase in November.
The unemployment rate was expected at 7.7%, according to a Reuters survey.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV