Sprint's response has been added to this story.
According to the Android Police Web site, Sprint will begin offering a limited number of phones (smart and otherwise), which will be available to be used with a $70-a-month, prepaid, all-you-can-eat service plan. The information reportedly comes from internal Sprint documentation.
There have been few details, such as whether or not "Sprint As You Go" will include the carrier's new 4G/LTE connectivity in the plan. Or any 4G at all. The story does say that it appears you'll be limited to 3G services with no free roaming allowed.As for handsets, you won't have the same selection of phones as you would with a standard Sprint service plan. No Apple (AAPL) iPhones here. No Microsoft (MSFT) Windows Phones. No super-duper Google (GOOG) Androids either. Reportedly, you'll only be able to choose from four devices, ranging from a Samsung Victory ($250) and LG Optimus Elite ($150) at the high end to a Samsung Array ($80) and M400 "flip" phone ($50) at the other end of the scale. This sort of offering is not a new idea. Sprint leases out cellular services to a number of other companies, including Virgin Mobile, Republic Wireless (a VoIP/cellular service) and its own Boost Mobile. Some of those companies have data usage limits on their no-contract plans. The new Sprint service supposedly won't. Sprint As You Go will reportedly begin on Jan. 25. Sprint declined to comment when contacted by TheStreet. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV