Apple has introduced a lot of new stuff in the last two years: Macs, iPhones, iPads, iPods, Siri, Maps, iTunes, management changes, and a new dividend. Like Facebook, all these things have been geared towards generating a lot of profits and Apple has been very good at that aim.
But still the critics carp on the lack of Apple innovation.
Apple has made it routine to come out with a knock your socks off product every three years. Some companies only do that once a decade. Most are lucky if they can have one product like that in their whole lives.
So Apple gets held to an incredibly high standard that they themselves set. All other tech companies get a pass on innovation, as long as they've done one thing really well fairly recently.This will continue until they show the world they can bring out a knock your socks off product again without Jobs. 2013 will probably be the year for them to do that. But it's good to be reminded that Apple just doesn't bide its time between those three year product cycles. They are churning stuff out all the time to make their existing product portfolio that much more profitable and up to date. We will keep holding Apple to an incredibly high standard but let's give them until the end of 2013 before we say they are losing a step. At the time of publication the author was long in Apple. Follow @ericjackson This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV