Gap Inc. (NYSE: GPS) today announced that its Board of Directors approved a new $1 billion share repurchase authorization for the company’s common stock, reinforcing the company’s commitment to returning excess cash to shareholders.
The new $1 billion repurchase program for Gap Inc.’s stock follows the company’s previous $1 billion share repurchase program, which was completed during the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2012. The company repurchased approximately 17 million shares for about $539 million during the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2012 to date.
“We’re pleased to have distributed close to $1.2 billion in cash to shareholders year to date in the form of dividends and share repurchases,” said Sabrina Simmons, chief financial officer of Gap Inc. “This additional authorization to repurchase stock reflects the continued strength of Gap Inc.’s free cash flow generation in supporting both growth initiatives and cash distributions.”
Forward-Looking StatementsThis press release and related conference call and webcast contain forward-looking statements within the “safe harbor” provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. All statements other than those that are purely historical are forward-looking statements. Words such as “expect,” “anticipate,” “believe,” “estimate,” “intend,” “plan,” “project,” and similar expressions also identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding the following:
- commitment to returning excess cash to shareholders.
- the risk that the company does not repurchase some or all of the shares it anticipates purchasing pursuant to its repurchase program.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV