America's 5 Most-Affordable Housing Markets
Fifth-most-affordable U.S. city: St. Louis
The "Gateway to the West" offers consumers a great gateway to homeownership because it has below-average median home prices ($131,700) and an above-average median income ($51,164).
St. Louis also boasts below-average median property taxes ($2,132), while the typical St. Louis resident pays $881 for homeowners insurance -- just $1 above the nationwide average.Add it all up and a median St. Louis household income provides 23.5% more money than you need to qualify for a mortgage on a median-priced home. Sante says St. Louis has low home prices because the city has lots of room to expand. "They're still building in St. Louis," he says. "There's abundant land there."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV