Oil, Other Commodities Rise Following Budget Deal
By The Associated Press
Prices for crude oil and most other commodities rose Wednesday after lawmakers cobbled together a last-minute budget agreement in Washington.
Most energy products were higher.
Commodities followed the stock market up after Congress passed a budget plan that would avert sweeping tax increases and cuts to government spending. That set off a rally in stocks and encouraged investors to shift money into other higher-risk assets like commodities. The Dow Jones industrial average jumped 308 points, its biggest gain since December 2011.Benchmark crude for February delivery rose $1.30 to finish the first trading day of the year at $93.12 a barrel. It went as high as $93.87 a barrel earlier in the session. Precious metals also rose broadly. Gold gained $13 to $1,688.80 an ounce, an increase of nearly 1 percent. Silver rose even more. The March contract jumped 78 cents to $31.007 an ounce, a rise of 2.6 percent. April platinum increased $25.60 to $1,568 an ounce. March palladium rose $4.60 to $707.95 an ounce. Agricultural futures mostly fell. Wheat for March delivery lost 22.75 cents to $7.5525 a bushel. March corn fell 7.5 cents to $6.9075 a bushel and March soybeans fell 17.25 cents to $13.9225 a bushel. In other energy futures trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange, wholesale gasoline rose 3.34 cents to finish at $2.7951 a gallon. Heating oil added 1.45 cents to end at $3.0463 a gallon. Natural gas fell 11.8 cents to finish at $3.2330 per 1,000 cubic feet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV