Dubious Deal? Small Biz Mixed On Cliff Compromise
Also extended for another year is what's known as bonus depreciation. That allows businesses to deduct 50 percent of the cost of equipment or real estate. It gives them a quicker tax break than the tax code's standard depreciation schedules, which require that the cost of property be depreciated over the course of a few years or decades, depending on the type of property.
The continuation of these deductions means Traxler Tees can buy more equipment and hire three full-time staffers, says Zachary Traxler, owner of the Columbus, Ohio-based company that makes custom-printed T-shirts.
"That's going to allow us to do a major expansion," Traxler says. He wants to branch out into business cards and other products. The tax savings he expects from the bill will help fund that growth.
Payroll taxes will hurt spending, but jobless benefit-extension could help: The end to the 2-percentage-point cut in the Social Security payroll tax is worrisome for many owners. The payroll tax cut, first enacted two years to encourage people to spend, will be allowed to lapse. A worker earning $50,000, for example, will now have $1,000 less in take-home pay. Workers will start feeling the pinch as soon as the first paychecks of 2013 are issued. Many people will respond by cutting back on discretionary spending and that's bound to hurt many small businesses."Think about the person who runs the local sandwich shop, the coffee shop, the local business person ... they'll feel it more," says Ceru, the adjunct professor at Babson. On the flipside, the bill extends long-term jobless benefits, keeping money in the pockets of many people who are actively seeking work for another year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV