An AMD veteran, Kumar had served as the company's interim CFO since September 2012, when Thomas Seifert stepped down from the role. The appointment is effective immediately.
"Devinder has been with AMD for more than 28 years and is a talented finance veteran with deep industry knowledge," CEO Rory Read said in a statement. "As we accelerate our strategic growth initiatives, Devinder will play an integral role driving the new business model in the near term and strengthening AMD's long-term financial foundation."
Kumar has in-depth knowledge of AMD's workings. The 57-year-old has served as the company's corporate controller since 2001 and as senior vice president since 2006.In its statement, the No. 2 chipmaker after Intel said it conducted a "thorough internal and external search" for Seifert's replacement. Shares of AMD, which closed up 5.4% at $2.53 on Wednesday, were off 0.4% in extended trading. -- Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV