BATTLE CREEK, Mich., Jan. 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With New Year's Day festivities officially concluded, Special K is making January 2 a celebration of its own, inviting women to be a part of "Gain Day" – a day to focus on all you can "gain" as you lose weight in the year ahead. A recent study, commissioned by Special K titled, "Positivity and Weight Management: A Look at the Gains," revealed that women who think positively about weight management were more likely to achieve their specific weight loss goals. As women commit to their New Year's resolutions, they're encouraged to join women around the world who have already started focusing on the positive as they "weighed in" online about what they want to "gain" when they lose in 2013 as part of a recently-launched Gains Project.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/focus-on-your-positive-gains-this-new-years-resolution-season-185115721.html
The Gains Project, which launched in early December, is an online destination at www.SpecialK.com that serves as a positive forum for women to share their desired "gains" with others and be inspired by one another as they think about weight management goals for the year ahead. The positive "gains" shared by real women around the globe have been as varied as the women themselves, ranging from"Smiling each time I look in the mirror" and "Energy and self confidence" to "Being healthy and a role model for my daughter."
Now that it's time to commit to resolutions, women can not only continue to share their gains as part of the nationwide celebration of "Gain Day" on January 2, but they can also take action to start achieving them.To help women put the power of positivity to work for them, Special K sought the expertise of Northwestern University psychologist and body image researcher, Renee Engeln, Ph.D.; and nutrition and fitness expert and author Dr. Wendy Bazilian, RD. These leading experts weighed in on the Special K study , "Positivity and Weight Management: A Look at the Gains" and offered their advice on how women can embrace this thinking and maintain that positivity throughout their weight management journey. "This is a great time of year to try a new approach to weight management – one that reframes the journey in a positive way," said Dr. Renee Engeln. "Women are accustomed to thinking about their bodies in terms of what they don't want to be instead of what they can become, what they need to get rid of instead of what they have to gain. Gain Day is an opportunity for women to try out a new, positive perspective when it comes to their weight-related goals." Advice From the Experts: Staying Positive – It's a Mind Game That Can Be Won Working together, Dr. Engeln and Dr. Bazilian developed the following "positivity tips" for women as they get started on the path to achieving their weight management goals:
- Use your words, the positive kind. Incorporate positive statements into your daily vernacular saying "Healthy feels great" or "I want to gain confidence and pizazz!"
- Lean on a community based in positivity. Use your network of family and friends to support one another. The Special K study found that women who lost or maintained their weight were three times as likely to rely on friends as a form of support. You can also be a positive role model for those around you as you instill positivity into your weight management approach.
- Take it step-by-step Break up your goal into realistic, bite-size pieces or make small adjustments to your everyday life. Then, reward yourself for the "small" victories to empower you to continue onward towards reaching your goals.
- Don't compromise on taste. The Special K study found that limited food options or tasteless "health foods" can be a main barrier to achieving your weight management goals. Pack your day with a satisfying selection of cereal, fresh fruit, trail mix or healthier versions of your favorite foods, like Special K Popcorn Chips or snack bars.
- Women who think positively about weight management are more likely to report weight loss. Resolve 2 succeed w/ @SpecialKUS bit.ly/v4SB3v
- Join @SpecialKUS on Gain Day Jan 2. Share what you want to gain when you lose weight bit.ly/v4SB3v #GainsProject #newyearresolution
- Join women who have "weighed in" so far at the @SpecialKUS #GainsProject. Commit to your goals in 2013 bit.ly/v4SB3v
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV