11-time author and professor at Dartmouth College’s Tuck School of Business listed five companies having the worst CEOs in 2012. The top companies listed for 2012 were:
1. Best Buy Co. Inc. (BBY): Operates as a retailer of consumer electronics, home office products, entertainment products, appliances, and related services primarily in the United States, Europe, Canada, and China. Market cap at $3.89B
2. Chesapeake Energy Corporation (CHK): Engages in the acquisition, development, exploration, and production of natural gas and oil properties in the United States. Market cap at $11.21B.
3. Avon Products Inc. (AVP): Engages in manufacturing and marketing beauty and related products in worldwide. Market cap at $6.11B.4. Zynga, Inc. (ZNGA): The Company develops online games designed for play on social networking sites. Market cap at $1.9B. 5.Bankia SA. (BNKXF): provides banking services to individuals, small and medium enterprises, large corporations, and public and private institutions in Spain. Last year, the companies listed included: 1. Netflix, Inc. (NFLX): Provides subscription based Internet services for TV shows and movies in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $5.03B. 2. Research In Motion Limited (RIMM): Designs, manufactures, and markets wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. Market cap at $6.16B. 3. Hewlett-Packard Company (HPQ): Offers various products, technologies, software, solutions, and services to individual consumers and small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), as well as to the government, health, and education sectors worldwide. Market cap at $27.6B. There are things more risky than leadership for a company’s prospects, such as politics (policy) and the stability of a country. After that, leadership can mean enormous growth or catastrophic failure. The companies listed for 2012 are worth studying. Growth in online shopping is hurting same store sales for Best Buy. Its Price of Profitability (as measured by Kapitall) now stands at just 5. Avon (AVP) did not improve shareholder value after turning down a takeover offer this year. The company is now worth $6 billion. In the resource sector, the natural gas price plunge that continued from 2011 turned leveraged assets into liabilities for Chesapeake (CHK). Unsurprisingly, Zynga (ZNGA)’s CEO made the list after its shares lost investors an enormous amount of money. The ill-timed strategic divesture from Facebook (FB) is putting pressure on the company to grow in other markets. Zynga now needs to grow in the mobile space, at a time when profits in this space is itself a challenge – unless the game is a hit. In the Spanish market, Bankia (BNKXF) earned a worst CEO title. The chairman, Rodrigo Rato, is being investigated for fraud. Written by KAPITALL’s Chris Lau.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV