Long-term Unemployed In Nevada Dodge Fiscal Cliff
CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) â¿¿ Thousands of long-term unemployed in Nevada dodged a plunge off the fiscal cliff when Congress reached an end-of-the year deal on taxes.
Part of the agreement includes extending federal emergency unemployment compensation for another year.
Nearly 25,000 Nevadans faced being abruptly cut off from jobless benefits unless Congress voted to extend federal assistance.
Nevada offers 26 weeks of unemployment compensation. But with heavy job losses during the recession, the federal government extended the period in states with high unemployment like Nevada, which has had the nation's highest jobless rate since May 2010.Jobless benefits are currently available for up to 73 weeks. State officials say eligible recipients were notified to keep submitting weekly claims despite the uncertainly in Congress and shouldn't see a break in their benefits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV