As part of its annual pipeline maintenance program, New Jersey American Water will temporarily change the water treatment process at its Raritan-Millstone Water Treatment Plant in Bridgewater and its Canal Road Water Treatment Plant in Somerset from a combined residual (a combination of ammonia and chlorine) to free chlorine residual.
The change will begin on January 7, 2013 and last through February. During this time period, customers may notice an increase in the taste and smell of chlorine in their water. This is normal and will only be temporary until the system maintenance is complete. New Jersey American Water continuously monitors water quality to ensure that it meets or exceeds federal and state drinking water standards and will continue to do so during and often throughout this system maintenance.
The temporary treatment change applies to New Jersey American Water customers in the following communities:
Bedminster, Belle Meade, Bound Brook, Branchburg, Bridgewater, Chester, Clark, Cranbury, Cranford, Dunellen, Elizabeth, Edison, Fanwood, Flemington, Franklin, Garwood, Green Brook, Hillside, Hillsborough, Jamesburg, Kenilworth, Kingston, Lawrence, Linden, Manville, Martinsville, Middlesex, Millstone, Montgomery, Mountainside, North Plainfield, Peapak/Gladstone, Piscataway, Plainfield, Plainsboro, Pottersville, Princeton, Raritan, Roselle, Roselle Park, Readington, Scotch Plains, Somerville, South Bound Brook, South Brunswick, South Plainfield, Tewksbury, Union, and Westfield.Should customers want to reduce the taste of chlorine in their water during this maintenance, they should follow these tips:
- Place water in a glass container in the refrigerator overnight uncovered. This will allow the chlorine to dissipate at a faster pace.
- Bring your water to a rolling boil for five minutes and allow the water to cool. This should reduce the chlorine taste and smell in the water.
- Add a lemon slice or a few drops of lemon juice to a glass of drinking water.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV