Last up today is VMWare (VMW), a stock that's been getting ready for a reversal. Even though VMWare posted decent returns in 2012, the stock has been trending lower since early April. But a double bottom pattern in shares suggests that this stock could be about to make more upside progress in 2013.
A double bottom is a price pattern that's formed by two swing lows that bottom out at approximately the same price level. The two bottoms are separated by a peak that marks that resistance level for the setup. A breakout above that price (right around $100 for VMW) is the buy signal for shares.
$102.50 is actually the top of the peak for this stock, but the lower price means more for this trade. The fact that VMW's resistance comes in at $100 is significant: big psychological price barriers like $100 can often act as stumbling blocks for buyers, so if VMW can overcome resistance there, buyers have a doubly strong signal.Momentum adds some extra confidence to this trade -- 14-day RSI has been trending higher since the second bottom started forming. If you decide to be a buyer when the $100 breakout happens, it makes sense to keep a protective stop just under the bottom of the price pattern. To see this week's trades in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore. Follow Stockpickr on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV