With countless folks around the world getting ready to set off on their New Year's resolutions, Weight Watchers (WTW) stands to benefit in a big way -- but that's not why we're looking at shares of this stock today.
It's been a pretty tepid year for WTW. In spite of an early 2012 jump, the last 12 months ended with shares of this weight loss stock down around 5%. But the chart points to a change in trend.
That's because WTW is currently forming an ascending triangle pattern. The ascending triangle is a price pattern that's formed by a horizontal resistance level to the upside and uptrending support below shares. Essentially, as WTW bounces in between those two technical levels, it's getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakout above resistance at $57.50. When that breakout happens, investors have a "buy" signal for shares.After the breakout happens, I'd recommend putting a protective stop just below the 50-day moving average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV