AUSTIN, Texas, Jan. 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- To meet growing consumer demand for healthier choices, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ: WFM) is introducing Engine 2 Plant-Strong products, a new line of plant-based, minimally processed snacks, breakfast items and pantry staples. Developed in collaboration with Rip Esselstyn, author and founder of "The Engine 2 Diet ™," the products will be available exclusively at Whole Foods Market stores nationwide beginning January 2013.
"Rip has inspired thousands of Whole Foods Market shoppers and Team Members to make smarter food choices as a partner in our healthy eating program," said Errol Schweizer, global grocery coordinator at Whole Foods Market. "Engine 2 products taste great and are a healthy option for popular snacks and pantry staples."
The products also adhere to "The Engine 2 Diet" guidelines, which means they are lower in fat, contain minimal to no added sugar, never contain animal products or added oils and aim for a one-to-one sodium-to-calories ratio per serving. Deliciously healthful products include:
- Rip's Big Bowl— a whole grain and omega-3-packed cereal available in three flavors including Original, Banana Walnut and Triple Berry.
- Hummus— available in Roasted Garlic, Roasted Red Pepper and Jalapeno Cilantro flavors, these Plant-Strong™ spreads don't contain added oil and are lower in calories, total fat and sodium.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk—Vanilla or Original, these non-dairy milks are fortified with vitamin B12 and boast rich, toasted almond flavor.
- Organic Crispbreads – available in Plain and Seeded varieties, these crunchy snacks contain no added sugar, oil or whey and have been Non-GMO Project ™ verified.
- Cantina-Style Salsa – roma tomatoes and fire-roasted peppers combine for fresh, flavorful salsa without the high sodium content.
- Organic Whole Grain Tortillas –Sprouted Ancient Grains or Gluten-Free Brown Rice, both with no added oil.
"It is a dream come true to see the Engine 2 Plant-Strong food line come to fruition," said Esselstyn. "I know these products will make it easier for people to eat healthy and live plant-strong!"
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV