Oil Price Jumps As US Averts 'fiscal Cliff'
By SAMANTHA BOMKAMP
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ The price of oil jumped Wednesday on the first trading day of the new year, after a deal in Washington averted the dreaded "fiscal cliff."
The House voted near midnight to send the bill to President Barack Obama after a tense day of political brinksmanship on Capitol Hill.
Benchmark crude for February delivery rose $1.30 to finish the first trading day of the year at $93.12 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. It was as high as $93.87 a barrel at one point earlier in the session. Energy prices followed stock markets higher. In afternoon trading the Dow Jones industrial average was up about 2 percent. The Nasdaq and the S&P 500 were both up more than 2 percent.More hurdles are ahead for the U.S. economy, including a new deadline for more spending cuts in two months. Oil analyst Phil Flynn says in the meantime, "ignorance is bliss and this deal should propel oil to...near $96 a barrel." Brent crude, used to price various kinds of international oil, rose $1.36 to end at $112.47 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange in London. Economists had warned that if Congress did not take action, a series of tax increases and spending cuts due to automatically start this year could have pushed the U.S. into recession. A spike in unemployment and less consumer spending would likely depress energy demand. Some House Republicans opposed the bill, which keeps middle-class tax rates in place, while raising taxes on the wealthy, and sidesteps $24 billion in spending cuts for the time being. A majority in the House eventually agreed to a simple yes-or-no vote on the bill, which had already passed the Senate by a wide margin. In other energy futures trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV