I don't know anything about silicon. Zero. And I told him that. He said: "That's exactly what we need. We need someone who doesn't understand silicon. We need someone who has launched services, who has worked in a content environment, and who can help bridge that gap.
From the above-linked gigaom article, that's Intel Media President Erik Huggers speaking about his job interview with Otellini.
Intel Media is a "top-secret" start-up-like entity within Intel leading efforts to break into the living room with a television set-top box. The question, according to Roettgers, is will the new Intel CEO champion media services as a major part of the company's future?
I have my opinions about Intel's living room ambitions. I'm still bearish. But that's fodder for another article.From a bigger picture, philosophical standpoint, I like what Intel is doing. I want to be wrong about the company. In fact, I have always prefaced Intel criticism with qualifiers: It pains me to be so bearish a company for which I have had great respect. I just wish Intel would tell the world what it's up to. That it's not destined to be a not-so-slowly eroding, our-dividend-yield-will-save-us blue chipper. Intel can write off its secrecy to the competitive process, but that's garbage. We all know what they're trying to do in the living room anyhow. A lack of early aggression stinks like a lack of confidence. And "leaks" are just plain stupid. If you think Apple (AAPL) has no clue in the living room and you're hiring content people to beat them at their own game, excellent, give us the goods ... now! Like at the upcoming Consumer Electronic Show (CES), which TheStreet's Chris Ciaccia will be covering live from Las Vegas. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV