Last but not least, was Weingarten Realty Investors (WRI). Cramer had Drew Alexander, CEO of Weingarten, on MadMoney during the Dec. 5 show. As Cramer pointed out, Weingarten has a necessity-based platform that provides for a durable dividend record. Weingarten has a market cap of around $3.25 billion with shares trading at $26.77. The company's dividend yield is 4.33% and the year-over-year total return is 28.22%.
Forced Dividends Are the Best Dividends
The attraction to the safe havens of REIT dividends is the fact that there are no options for these companies to pay or not to pay a dividend. By law, they are forced to do so to retain their REIT status. Alternatively, non-REITs have a choice in how much to pay out in dividends. With the threat of the uncertainties in the year ahead, the non-REIT payers may likely choose to conserve cash and very possibly cut dividends in 2013 or at least not increase them.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV