NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- It's clear that market volatility will be a way of life in 2013: Europe with its debt problems; China's growth constantly scrutinized; as the U.S. nudges forward.
That translates into one thing: FEAR. That makes it most difficult for investors to predict where to zig or to zag, making stock selection increasingly difficult. So where do intelligent investors find the next pockets of opportunity, especially the companies that earn excess of returns over long periods of time?
REITs: The Anchor and the Buoy
Oh yes. Don't you remember? REITs payout more than at least 90% of their income to their shareholders in the form of dividends, and you pay taxes only when you decide to sell. Another key differentiator for REITs, compared with non-REITs, is total return ingredients. Remember that a non-REIT stock is anchored by capital appreciation and dividends are simply the "icing on the cake." However, REITs are just the opposite. In fact, REITs, on average, return 60% of total return in dividends -- making dividends the anchor and growth the buoy.
Speaking of Buoy. What about Mr. Booyah?Oh yes. Jim Cramer loves REITs. I have watched many of his guests this year on CNBC's "Mad Money" and I can tell you that Mr. Booyah knows how to pick 'em. For example, Cramer interviewed Edward Aldag, CEO of Medical Properties Trust (MPW) on Oct. 8. The Birmingham, Ala.-based health care REIT is paying a splendid 6.69% dividend yield with a year-over-year total return of a whopping 31.17%. MPW is the only pure hospital focused REIT with the $1.621 billion (market cap) REIT's shares are trading at $11.96. A solid buy!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV