By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Fast-money traders went shopping in Gap (GPS) on Monday morning.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected unusual activity in the Weekly 30.50 calls expiring this Friday, with early buying for 69 cents and 70 cents. Some 1,300 contracts had traded in the first few minutes of the session, followed by another 1,300 throughout the rest of the day.
Gap shares were marginally higher at the time and then started to ramp higher, ending the day up 2% to $31.04. But that was nothing compared with the 30.50 calls, which shot up 50% to $1.05. That made for some fast money from a minuscule move in the stock price.Calls lock in the price where investors can buy shares, providing tremendous leverage in the event of a rally. But if it doesn't go in the right direction, they can be rendered worthless just as quick. The apparel retailer hit a multi-year peak near $38 in October before rolling over, and it's now trying to find support around the key $30 breakout level from the summer. The company is scheduled to report December same-store sales Thursday morning, which could provide a catalyst. More than 21,000 option contracts changed hands in the name on Monday, about four times its daily average for the last month. Russell has no positions in GPS.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV