Insurance Commissioner Praises Illinois Court
OKLAHOMA CITY, Dec. 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Oklahoma Insurance Commissioner John D. Doak has praised the decision by a federal appeals court to temporarily bar the U.S. government from requiring an Illinois company to obtain insurance coverage for contraceptives. The owners, Cyril and Jane Korte, fought the Obamacare mandate because it violates their religious faith. Doak has been a fierce opponent of the contraception mandate since Obamacare became law.
"Religious freedom is a basic constitutional right granted by our founding fathers and paid for by the sacrifice of millions of veterans for all the citizens of the United States to enjoy and currently that right is being eroded," Doak said. "Where does it stop? If we do not stand up and protect religious liberties in healthcare now, then when?"
Doak has also pledged to personally support Oklahoma City-based Hobby Lobby, owned by the David Green family, in its decision to defy the emergency contraception mandate. Both Hobby Lobby and Mardel stores could be fined as much as $1.3 million a day starting tomorrow.
"I am not opposed to contraception. I am for religious freedom and capitalism, both of which are under daily attacks by big government," said Doak. "Let every American and Oklahoman have the ability to pursue freedom and happiness without total government control. If a potential employee does not like the benefits offered by an employer, let them seek another opportunity or purchase needed coverage in the private market. These federal mandates created by overzealous regulators are killing what has made our country great. Using their core values, the Green family runs a successful business that creates jobs. They believe God built and blessed their business for staying true to biblical principles. Those beliefs deserve respect. President Obama doesn't understand that because he's never built a company."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV