Citizens' Group Sues Over Pa. Longwall Pollution
A spokeswoman for the state DEP did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the alleged violations listed in the lawsuit.
Among other things, the lawsuit contends that runoff and other pollution from the mining is fouling the South Fork Tenmile Creek, along with other Monongahela tributaries.
The South Fork is designated by the DEP as a "high quality warm water fishery" upstream of the mine and a "warm water fishery" below the mine. But the lawsuit contends the DEP's 2012 Draft Water Quality Monitoring Report lists the South Fork as "impaired and not attaining its aquatic life use."
"As an already impaired water body, it is essentially that no further strain from industrial and other pollutants be placed on the South Fork," the lawsuit said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV