Stocks Surge as 'Fiscal Cliff' Deal Looms
Gold for February delivery spiked $19.90 to settle at $1,675.80 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange, while February crude oil contracts increased $1.02 to close at $91.82 a barrel.
The benchmark 10-year Treasury plummeted 17/32 to boost the yield to 1.761%. The bond market closed early for the holiday. The dollar bumped up 0.11%, according to the U.S. dollar index.
Shares of the company surged 19.7%.Carlyle Group, Stone Point Capital LLC, Pictet & Cie and Edmond de Rothschild Group were all part of the purchasing deal. Tribune Co. said it would emerge from its bankruptcy on Monday. The media company, whichowns The Los Angeles Times and The Chicago Tribune, sought bankruptcy in 2008. Apple (AAPL) withdrew patents claims against Samsung's Galaxy S III Mini phone after the South Korean company announced it wouldn't offer to sell the gadget in the U.S., according to a Reuters report. Shares of Apple rose 4.4%, while the stock jumped 31.4% in 2012. Facebook (FB) closed out the year of its initial public offering on a high note. Shares of the social networking Web site finished up 2.7%, or 71 cents, at $26.62 -- far short of the company's IPO of $38 a share -- on Monday after a BMO Financial Group analyst upgraded the company's stock and more than doubled its price target. After -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV