, Dec. 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Bookspan, the largest direct-to-consumer distributor of media products in
the United States
, and home to 22 book clubs including Doubleday Book Club
, The Good Cook
and History Book Club
, is pleased to announce the top 13 new books for 2013 as selected by their distinguished book club editors. The list includes...
Out of the Easy
by Ruta Sepetys selected by
, Editor-in-Chief, Doubleday Book Club – National Blue Ribbon author Sepetys works her magic again with an absorbing page-turner set in 1950s
about a young spitfire determined to escape the curse of her mother's dead-end life and the consequences of her difficult choices.
From Mama's Table to Mine
, Editor-in-Chief, The Good Cook – From Black-eyed Pea Salad to Doughnut Bread Pudding,
handles his beloved Southern specialties with TLC (tender, lightening care).
The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat
Edward Kelsey Moore
, Editor-in-Chief, Book-of-the-Month Club
– This is one of those books you read that immediately becomes part of your life, the characters feel like old acquaintances, and you just know you'll share with all your friends as soon as you can.
Three Graves Full
, Editor-in-Chief, Mystery Guild
– How's this for a great first line? "There is very little peace for a man with a body buried in his backyard." Filled with biting wit and great prose style,
Three Graves Full
may be the debut of the year.
Enter the Wolf
selected by Rome Quezada, Senior Editor, Science Fiction Book Club
– This omnibus collects the first three novels in Knight's "Vampire Earth" Series, and its action and suspense is riveting. The SFBC 60
Anniversary Edition will feature exclusive cover art by the legendary
The Perfect Meal
, Senior Editor, Quality Paperback Book Club
captures the joie de vie of French life in an intimate and special way. He goes in search of
's culinary heritage and shines the kitchen light on the secrets to great French food.
, Ph.D. selected by
– The follow up to
delves into the healing and liberating presence available to all of us on our path to spiritual awakening.
Engineers of Victory
, Editor-in-Chief, History Book Club –
, author of the classic
The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers
, takes a fresh look at how World War II was won profiling the scientists, soldiers and businessmen who helped achieve the Allied commanders' strategic goals.
, Editor-in-Chief, The Literary Guild
– What compels a man who has everything – successful career, loving family, good friends, wealth – to risk losing it all?
attempts to dissect what happens when a temptation in the form of a lush, young woman invades the golden circle of the Winslow family.
The Last Battle
, Editor, Military Book Club
– The author examines a wealth of primary sources to tell the extraordinary story of U.S. and Wehrmachts soldiers joining forces to retrieve fourteen French prisoners held captive in the Austrian Alps by a recalcitrant group of SS soldiers.
A Deeper Love Inside
by Sister Souljah selected by
Carol M. Mackey
, Editor-in-Chief, Black Expressions Book Club
– In her highly anticipated sequel to
The Coldest Winter Ever, A Deeper Love Inside
features Winter's little sister
as she fights to reclaim her family legacy and refuses to take "no" for an answer.
, Editor-in-Chief, Rhapsody Book Club
– The story of three women who have bought the famed Three Sisters Queen Anne Houses on Blackberry Island, a place where they find friendship, heartbreak, romance, laughter and tears.
, Editor, Children's Book-of-the-Month Club
– The popular
New York Times
continues to encourage kids to be their best. In
, Pinkalicious makes an extra-special wand that turns an ordinary place into an Emeraldalicious
Bookspan, together with its sister company Direct Brands Inc., is the largest direct-to-consumer distributor of media products in the United States. It is the parent company of 24 multi-platform businesses including iconic brands such as Book-of-the-Month Club, Doubleday Book Club and Columbia House
. It is also the parent of cultural and lifestyle retail communities such as Black Expressions Book Club, Science Fiction Book Club, Quality Paperback Book Club and One Spirit. Members of each of these clubs can purchase from catalogs and websites tailored to their entertainment preferences.