By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Ford Motor (F) fought a negative tape on Friday, and the option activity was unusually heavy with a bullish bias.
More than 176,000 contracts traded, more than twice the average amount for the automaker. Almost 110,000 of those were calls, and volume shifted to spring expirations later in the day, according to OptionMonster's tracking systems. The April 14s traded more than 5,300 times, mostly for 41 cents, versus previous open interest of 3,532 contacts.
Calls lock in the price where investors can buy shares, so they can generate some nice leverage in the event of a rally. But they can also expire worthless if the stock doesn't move.Ford closed at $12.87, up 0.86% on the day. The stock has been ripping higher since the summer, when it bottomed out below $9. It's now back to the February and March levels that were resistance in the past, and Friday's gains stuck out with the rest of the market down again. Najarian has no positions in F.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV