The purchasing consortium consists of The Carlyle Group, Stone Point Capital LLC, Pictet & Cie and Edmond de Rothschild Group.
The group will pay $15.55 a share, a 19% premium to the $13.05 closing level of Duff & Phelps' shares on Friday.
In a news release, Duff & Phelps said the deal was expected to close in the first half of 2013.Noah Gottdiener, chief executive officer of Duff & Phelps, said the transaction was in the best interest of shareholders, who receive "an immediate and certain cash premium for their shares." Gottdiener also said the deal would be structured to "preserve the firm's independence." New York-based Duff & Phelps provides financial advisory and investment banking services. The deal provides for a "go-shop" period -- ending Feb. 8 -- during which Duff & Phelps can seek superior offers from other potential suitors. There is a $6.65 million breakup fee if Duff & Phelps cancels the deal because of a superior proposal made during the "go-shop" period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV