People Aren't Rushing to Inevitable Smartphone Payments
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- More than six in 10 Americans believe smartphone payments will eventually replace payment cards (66%) and cash (61%) transactions for most purchases, according to a poll by Harris Interactive. Not anytime soon, though.
Only 32% believe smartphone payments will replace card payments in less than five years, and just 26% feel cash will be replaced by smartphone payments within five years.
Respondents didn't show much interest in replacing their own card or cash transactions for purchases with the tap of a smartphone. Just 27% of Americans and 44% of smartphone users report an overall interest in using their smartphone to process in-person payments.
There are clear lines as to which consumers want the technology:
- Younger respondents, such as echo boomers (40%) and Gen Xers (34%), have a stronger interest in it than either baby boomers (18%) or mature adults (7%).
- Men (32%) are much more interested in this technology than women (22%).
- Households with children (38%) have a stronger interest than those in households without children (22%).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV