BEIJING (AP) â¿¿ A Chinese court has ordered Apple Inc. to pay 1.03 million yuan ($165,000) to eight Chinese writers and two companies who say unlicensed copies of their work were distributed through Apple's online store.
The Beijing No. 2 Intermediate People's Court ruled Thursday that Apple violated the writers' copyrights by allowing applications containing their work to be distributed through its App Store, according to an official who answered the phone at the court and said he was the judge in the case. He refused to give his name, as is common among Chinese officials.
The award was less than the 12 million yuan ($1.9 million) sought by the authors. The case grouped together eight lawsuits filed by them and their publishers.
___FDA clears anticlotting drug Eliquis WASHINGTON (AP) â¿¿ The Food and Drug Administration says it has approved the anticlotting drug Eliquis, developed by Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. and Pfizer Inc. It's a potential blockbuster drug in a new category of medicines to prevent strokes. The agency previously rejected the drug twice, most recently in June, awaiting additional data from company trials. The FDA cleared the pill for treating the most common type of irregular heartbeat â¿¿ atrial fibrillation â¿¿ in patients at risk for strokes or dangerous clots. ___ By The Associated Press(equals) The Dow Jones industrial average dropped 158.20 points to 12,938.11 points. The Standard & Poor 500 index fell 15.67 points to 1,402.43 and the Nasdaq dropped 25.59 points to 2,960.31. U.S. benchmark crude fell 7 cents to finish at $90.80 a barrel. In London, Brent crude, used to price various kinds of foreign oil, fell 18 cents to finish at $110.62 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange. Wholesale gasoline fell 2 cents to end at $2.80 a gallon. Heating oil fell 3 cents to finish at $3.04 a gallon. Natural gas rose 6 cents to end at $3.47 per 1,000 cubic feet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV