Obama To Make A Statement On Fiscal Cliff
WASHINGTON (AP) â¿¿ The White House says President Barack Obama plans to make a statement following a meeting with congressional leaders on the fiscal cliff.
Obama met Friday for about an hour with House Speaker John Boehner, Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi.
The White House is trying to build support for a proposal it presented a week ago, when Obama urged lawmakers to preserve tax cuts for most Americans while letting rates rise on incomes above $250,000 a year. At the same time, Obama wants lawmakers to extend unemployment benefits for the long-term jobless.
Both sides are trying to prevent a toxic blend of middle-class tax increases and spending cuts from taking effect at the turn of the new year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV