ALLENTOWN, Pa., Dec. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- After soliciting public input during 13 community meetings, PPL Electric Utilities has submitted the Northeast-Pocono Reliability Project to the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission for approval, the company said Friday (12/28).
The project will improve electric service for 250,000 people in northeast Pennsylvania and the Poconos. It will involve construction of three new electrical substations and a new 230-kilovolt power line.
"This project will have clear and immediate benefits for all of our customers in this region," said Stephanie Raymond, PPL Electric Utilities Transmission and Substation vice president. "It will reduce the number of power outages experienced by our customers, and also will reduce the duration of outages caused by falling trees or severe weather."The PUC review process generally takes about one year, during which there are opportunities for additional public input. For example, the commission may schedule public input sessions for local residents in the project area. The route chosen for the power line represents the company's best effort to balance social, environmental and cost impacts while ensuring that PPL Electric Utilities can fulfill its obligation to provide reliable electric service, Raymond said. "We recognize that there is no perfect route for a power line," Raymond said. "That's why we are so diligent about seeking and listening to public input and making changes to the project — where we can — to address any concerns that may be raised." This project is needed because electricity use in the region has been increasing for decades. New homes have been built and existing homes are using more electronic devices and appliances. While this growth has been reduced by customers using energy more efficiently, overall demand — particularly during peak times such as winter cold snaps — is expected to continue to grow.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV