BOSTON, Dec. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Desiree Davila, a member of the 2013 John Hancock Elite Boston Marathon Team has withdrawn from the upcoming April 15 race due to a slow-healing femoral stress fracture of the right leg. The injury occurred shortly before the 2012 London Olympic Marathon this past August. Although her recovery is taking longer than expected, Davila said she is making progress and looks forward to competing in future Boston Marathons.
"Keeping my long term goals in mind, I have made the difficult decision to withdraw from the running of the 2013 Boston Marathon," said Davila. "At this time it is in my best interest to fully focus on recovering from my injury and gradually rebuilding my fitness. Having a major race scheduled, which I am very passionate about, will only serve to rush the process and as all marathoners know there are no shortcuts -- in training or recovery. I'd like to thank John Hancock for the opportunity and their understanding. I look forward to racing on the roads of Boston again in the future."
Davila placed second at the 2011 Boston Marathon and set a new American course record of 2:22:38. She then qualified for the 2012 London Olympics with a second place finish at the U.S. Olympic Trials.
The 2013 Boston Marathon marks the 28
th year of John Hancock's landmark sponsorship of the legendary race. For additional information about the elite athlete program and sponsorship, please visit
http://www.johnhancock.com/bostonmarathon/index.html or follow
@jhboston26 on Twitter.
About John Hancock Financial and Manulife Financial Corporation
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV