You should always have your favorites handy for such emergencies. I call this list my "panic sheet" because when everyone else is panicking I whip it out and start getting greedy.
I think Apple (AAPL) is dirt cheap at these levels. An earnings multiple well below the market plus a 2.55% yield? That's what I call an after-Christmas sale.
Or how about some JPMorgan Chase (JPM)? Banking is a great business, the company seems to have shed much of its garbage, and a drop from the current level of about $43/share could let you get in at an earnings multiple of just nine, plus the dividend.
Don't like the banks? Well, Exxon Mobil (XOM) is selling at a similar multiple, with a similar yield to both Apple and JPMorgan.The point is the economy is poised for growth, and Congress is not going to muck it up. The arguments are all over how much deficit reduction won't be done now, not whether it will be done. Any compromise that's reached will be a "win" for the constituency whose goodies are taken back. Any compromise that isn't reached will help our nation's balance sheet, which everyone who's screaming "fiscal cliff" claims is the problem we must address. This piece was written on Friday. It's possible a deal was reached that day or over the weekend or is being voted on as you read this. If that's the case, just put your "panic sheet" back into the desk and go back to business as usual. Have a great New Year, don't get too hungover, and we'll see you bright-eyed and bushy-tailed on Wednesday morning. Because you don't want to miss 2013. I see some great opportunities ahead. At the time of publication, the author had a position in AAPL. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV