NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- As Baby Boomers reach their golden years, there will be more products aimed squarely at that moneyed demographic.
Take, for instance, smartphones, which boast lots of features crammed into a very small space. Easy to use for youngsters, the mobile marvels can prove to be too small, too large (like those phablets with gigantic screens) or too complicated.
That's where Fujitsu steps in. According to published reports, the Japanese company will be unveiling an easy-to-use Google (GOOG) Android phone made for "seniors." It's a market segment that Fujitsu says is being ignored by giants like Apple (AAPL) and Samsung.
The device is called Raku Raku. I'd expect there'll be a name change before it gets to the U.S. Released in Japan in the summer, the phone is said to run on Android 4.0 and sports an easy-to-see, easy-to-master screen interface with bigger icons, larger lettering and louder audio.The company plans to bring the Raku Raku to the U.S. and European markets in early 2013. It will have to tweak the design for each country. Fujitsu President Masami Yamamoto told reporters he has no plans to market other, more upscale models in those countries in the near future. For the record, Fujitsu was No. 1 in Japanese mobile-phone shipments in fiscal 2011. The company also manufactures its own semiconductors/processors for its devices. -- Written by Gary Krakow in New York >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV