NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- If I ever get around to writing my magnum opus on the Digital Depression, this year probably won't rate even a full chapter. It wasn't the dumbest or the most brutal.
But it was an Olympic year, so what better time to fire up the national anthems, wave the flags and award the gold, silver and bronze for an Olympic-sized problem: What was big in digital idiocy -- perhaps we should call it digiotica? -- for 2012.
Will the winners please approach the podium.
Bronze medal: Ignoring the Amtrak-ization of the Google Economy.
The big news in 2012 is the Amtrak-ization of the Web. Yes, the Web-addicted still point to jumping revenues at Web companies such as search giant Google (GOOG). The 15 ish-percent bump from Q2 to Q3 this past year is a popular point of digital pride.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV