The majority of Americans will be ditching fancy clothes, overpriced drinks and crowded venues this New Year’s Eve, opting instead for gatherings with friends and family in the comfort of their own home, according to a recent survey released by Hasbro (NASDAQ: HAS). The survey found that 75 percent of Americans will ring in the New Year by staying in, forgoing the traditional hassles of a night on the town.
“With so many New Year’s celebrations taking place at home this year, we know that hosts will be looking for the perfect entertainment options to kick off 2013,” said Jonathan Berkowitz, vice president of marketing for Hasbro Gaming. “Getting a group together for a laugh-till-you-cry game of SCRABBLE CATCH PHRASE or an epic, nail-biter of a game of JENGA will certainly be a fun, memorable way to start the new year.”
For tips on hosting a memorable New Year’s game night visit www.Facebook.com/HasbroGameNight.
While games are a great way to keep everyone entertained at your party, some words of advice when picking teams – don’t pick just anyone to be your gaming partner! Nearly 40 percent of those polled said they’d least like to partner up with their boss for a game night. And in-laws and parents didn’t fare much better. Among those polled, 21 percent said they’d least like to partner with their in-laws, and 15 percent said they’d avoid teaming up with dear old mom and dad. Choosing a best friend or spouse as a teammate seemed to be the best choice among adults surveyed.Along with these helpful hints on how to stack (or rather how not to stack) the teams to keep everyone in the gaming spirit, Hasbro has the perfect lineup of games to get the party started and keep it going until the ball drops this year. Set the mood right from the get-go by setting up a JENGA game by the food and drinks. Guests can try their hand at a few JENGA moves while mingling and eating throughout the night. Invite each guest to share a resolution for 2013 or a favorite memory from 2012 for each block they successfully remove. If you’re expecting a large crowd, be sure to introduce SCRABBLE CATCH PHRASE to the party. Everyone can get in on the action by yelling out guesses to the clues shouted out by each team. To get partygoers up and out of their seats, break out a classic like TWISTER to keep the energy level up as you countdown to midnight. For those high rollers in the crowd, roll out YAHTZEE to see who’s feeling lucky. And for the artists in the room, let them showcase their abilities in the DRAW SOMETHING game. A few additional tips to make your at-home celebration a slam-dunk this New Year’s:
- Keep it simple: One of the joys of staying in on New Year’s is avoiding the holiday hassle. Keep the relaxed theme going by sticking to simple finger foods and easy beverages that don’t require many ingredients. Or, make it a potluck and let each partygoer contribute to the spread. The less complicated the party, the more you get to be part of the action.
- Have prizes ready to go: Who doesn’t love a trophy or the sweet taste of a victory chocolate to commemorate their game night win? Have some small prizes ready for the winners to encourage friendly competition throughout the night.
- Don’t forget the camera: You’ll want to remember the victory dances long after the night ends so keep that camera handy to capture the most memorable moments of the night. Extra points for sharing them via social networks to keep the fun going long after the party ends. And a great picture from your 2012 New Year’s game night will be the perfect photo for your 2013 New Year’s invitation. You’ll be a step ahead of the game for next year!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV