New Jersey American Water customers who are returning to their homes along Ocean County’s barrier island in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy can once again use the water for drinking and cooking. The company reports that repairs to its water distribution system have been completed to a point that the “Do Not Consume” order which was in place for portions of the barrier islands has been lifted. Results of water quality testing have confirmed that water quality meets federal and state drinking water standards.
The lift notice applies to customers in the following communities:
- Brick Twp. (New Jersey American Water customers on the barrier island only)
- Dover (Toms River) Twp. (New Jersey American Water customers on the barrier island only including Chadwick Beach and Normandy Beach)
- Lavallette Borough (New Jersey American Water customers only)
- Mantoloking Borough
- Ortley Beach
- Pelican Island (Do Not Consume lifted on Dec. 19)
As a precaution, New Jersey American Water recommends that customers in these areas where the Do Not Consume notice has been lifted take the following measures to turn over the water in their service lines and plumbing:
- Run your water faucets for 3-5 minutes to flush your service connection and interior plumbing with water from the service main.
- Empty and clean your automatic ice makers and water chillers.
- Drain and refill your hot water heater if the temperature is set below 113 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Service connections with a water softener/cartridge filters should be run through a regeneration cycle or other procedures recommended by the manufacturer.
- Water reservoirs in tall buildings should be drained and refilled.
As the company continues its restoration work on the barrier islands, some customers still require service line installation before they can access their water service. These customers should call New Jersey American Water’s customer service at 1-800-652-6987.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV