Updated with market close information.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The nation's biggest banks trimmed earlier losses late in Thursday's trading session, as Republican leaders confirmed that the House of Representatives would return to work on Sunday, in an effort to avert the Fiscal Cliff.
The "big four" U.S. banks all recovered from earlier 2% declines. Three of the big four saw 1% declines, including Bank of America , with shares closing at $11.47, Citigroup (C) closing at $39.25 and JPMorgan Chase (JPM), closing at $43.63. Shares of Wells Fargo (WFC) ended the day with a slight decline, closing at $34.18.
The broad indexes all ended with slight declines, recovering from earlier losses. The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) was down slightly to close at 50.95, with all but seven of the 24 index components showing declines.Speaking on the Senate Floor Thursday morning, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D., Nev.) was doubtful over the prospect of a happy New Year for taxpayers, saying "I don't know time-wise how it can happen now," and that "Democrats can't put together a plan on their own because, without participation of
Fiscal Cliff Won't Stop Capital Return
The Federal Reserve will begin its next round of annual stress tests in February, and in March will hand down its decisions on whether or not to approve large bank's plans to return capital to investors through dividend increases and share repurchases.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV